2.28.2014

A reminder about death

Yesterday afternoon, just when I was in the Discover Islam Exhibition I got a news that an aunt of mine passed away that day (which the day had turned Friday in Indonesia). I hope it was husnul khotimah --the good end-- for her.

As I heard that news, I felt that death lurked me time to time. During these several years I experienced the lost of my father, cousins, uncles, aunts, teachers, neighbors I used to visit, and even friends I played with.

And when I was preparing the event this morning, there were booklets about the judgement day in Islamic perspective. I did not pay much attention to the booklets as I thought the topic might be to heavy for the visitors who came to the exhibition, so I put them aside. Those remained at the box until today's exhibition was over.

Now, I am dwelling about the death itself. Am I prepared for that? And for an unimaginable length of time to the judgement day, what will happen?

I once experienced an accident that (could) put me to the edge of death two years ago. I had my jaw bone fractured in several locations. The doctor said I was lucky but she was afraid I would have difficulty on speaking later on. Thank God, I was okay. Anatomically, it is indeed that I am not the person I was. I lost several of my teeth and one of the fracture remains. However, I think everything works well. The thing that the doctor pronounced does not occur.

But, a human is a forgetful creature. The experience should be a milestone to return to God. It was! However, as time passes by, I forget. Sometimes I feel lazy to do worships. Sometimes I commit wrongdoings. Sometimes I put insincerity into my actions. And many things that I feel ashamed even to think about.

But, again, the God always has His own ways to remind me. And, I think today's news was one of them. In my condolence to hear the news, I think I should show my gratefulness that God keeps showing me His signs, and yesterday it was by taking away one of the person I close to.


إن لله ما أعطى وله ما أخذ وكل شيء عنده بأجل مسمى فلتصبر ولتحتسب

Surely what Allah gives is His, and what He takes is His, and everything has the predetermined doom in the sight of Allah; so be patient and hope for the reward from Allah.

No comments: