2.27.2014

Experiencing Delivering Islam

These two days (26-27/02), Cranfield Islamic Society run an an event at Vincent Building titled Discover Islam Exhibition. The exhibition was enlivened by the enthusiasm of the visitors. They asked many things related to the religion.

As the volunteer to the event, I had a great experience. Since long, I was afraid to communicate about Islam. The reason for this was I was afraid. I thought that as long as I lived I had never become a good believer for my faith. I was afraid if I delivered a wrong massage or even if I delivered something right I was afraid it would be misunderstood. However, in that event I was challenged to talk about Islam and it was not by my mother tongue. I worried even more.

Once there were two Chinese girls ask about jilbab. It was daunting because at that time there were no girl volunteers that I believed would give information better. Having no choices, I described that jilbab was worn as the way of a Muslim woman being recognized as a Muslim. I also told them that the jilbab was also as her way to protect herself.

Another time I was asked about how children could bring their parents to the paradise. I answered that question that the obedience of children is the key. As children, being pious was one of the key to help their parents got the rewards.

The enthusiasm did not come only from the non Muslims but also the Muslims. There was a girl requested for an Arabic class to be held because she longed for it.

Noticing the event, there was a lady whom I guessed was a staff of the university asked about how we, as Muslims, experienced the life at Cranfield University. I told her that we were more than welcomed here and she looked happy to hear that. she was delighted even more when we handed her a gift bag containing a translation of the Qur'an and a book.

I am grateful for the experience I had these two days. Not only because I beat my worries and anxieties but also because I could delivered something about the faith I hold all this time. The enthusiasm of the visitors somehow touched me and encouraged me to learn again about Islam. I remember one of them said that the religions and faiths were dead in her country for a long time and the event was gave her a different perspective. I believe she said that because she was in her journey to find the meaning of her life. Remembering her statement, I realize how lucky I am.

No comments: