1.05.2014

Antihero

My #30tulisan-posting yesterday was praised very well, and somehow it was overrated. I said overrated, it does not mean that I am not grateful for responses I received, but they made me feel burdened somehow. I have started to produce short stories since two years ago, and quantitatively my writings categorized as short stories can only be counted in one hand's fingers. Transforming an idea into a fiction is not an easy work for me.

Talking about short story, or literature in general, the typical of character I love most is an antihero/antiheroine. This type of character also applies in play or movie. Based on description on Wikipedia, an antihero/antiheroine is a leading character in a film, book or play who lacks some or all of the traditional heroic qualities, such as altruism, idealism, courage, nobility, fortitude, and moral goodness. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antihero, accessed: 5 January 2014). One of the nature of this type of character is he or she in the story never addresses himself or herself as a good person and somehow acts otherwise.

Several well-known characters of antihero are Sherlock Holmes, Hannibal Lecter in Hannibal series (yet to some extent, this character can be recognized as an antagonist instead), Batman, Wolverine of X-Men, and Severus Snape in Harry Potter series. In Indonesian literature, there are not so many books or movies that have antihero characters. One of Indonesian novels I recognize that places an antihero as a main character is Y.B. Mangunwijaya's Burung-burung Manyar, released in 1981. His writing has already translated into English with Weaverbirds as the title. It is a good novel and I recommend to read it.

The reason why I love that typical character is about the depth of the character can be explored. The character brings the nuance of real human that do not appear in conventional protagonist or antagonist. The character of antihero/antiheroine in most cases has to struggled with right and wrong, his nature and his interest, his mind and his heart. I believe it is a real attempt to fuse complexities of human being into one particular character without make the story being cheesy or predictable. The author who launches a character like this in his or her work must be smart and to some extent has knowledge (or instinct?) of human behavior.

I would love to produce a fiction with an antihero as a character someday.

No comments: