1.20.2014

An opinion after a session with the Ministry of Education

Yesterday, I could not make a writing as I went to London. I just came back when the day was change.

There was a session between the Ministry of Education and Indonesian community in the UK. The community comprised of students, media, NGO, etc. The session was held in the Embassy of the Republic Indonesia in London at 6:30 pm.

The discussion held was related to education system in Indonesia. For me, it was an insight, especially about the controversial curriculum of 2013. I said controversial because the questions were raised mostly about how the new proposed curriculum could answer the challenge of education complexities in Indonesia and how it could sustain even though the government would change in 2014.

I was happy to see that the Minister had a vision of ten to twenty years ahead about improving human quality of Indonesian. It was a progress, in my opinion, compare to the tendency of political will that stands only in a cycle of government or even less.

The discussion was alive. The participants raised questions sharply. They showed what was said as critical thinking. Education system in Indonesia surely is a barn of questions. Every aspect of it. Last night was the evidence.

However the 'critical thinking' of us may become a backsword for us. I read the tendency that most of Indonesian people tried to questioned the new system, make attempts to find the weaknesses. So, instead of trying to find the benefit of the proposed new system and seeing the gap as challenge to solve, people saw the lack of it and blame the government. It was ashamed that I have not heard any solutions from them who questioned the lack of the new system, and unfortunately their reasons based on prejudice. Many of them raise question as what they read from media or discussion forums, but never once read the regulation completely. They weighed the system based on assumption what they received from the third party. For a moment, I questioned our intellectuality.

I believe that the substance of the curriculum he proposed may be not perfect. Perhaps, so many gaps that could not be answered by the new regulation. However, it what should be. To have a good education system, it would take time. What we need is a clear vision, and then the attempts to deliver it. That imperfection of the system also becomes a good chance to contribute something, doesn't it? It gives us space to continuously growing and improving the system, because through time the needs to be fulfilled in education would improve no matter what. It is an endless cycle.

When I writing this, it does not mean I am a Minister's supporter. I also believe the Ministry is not a perfect person as he is a human being, after all. However, I want to weigh with a clear mind. And what I saw last night, he had the point. He had a vision for future springs of us.

I think to have vision not only for his time but for others in the future, while he may not taste the benefit of it in his time, that is a form of heroism. To hear what the Minister said last night, I really appreciate his attempts. I hope what he said last night was out of his sincerity about Indonesia.


An Endnote

 
When I went to London yesterday to attend the session, I read an ad about London tube. The interesting thing about the ad was the words on it:
Helping London grow for the future; we've been serving London since 1863 and our continuing improvements will help you get around for the next 150 years.

I was amazed, because the words contained a far-ahead vision as well as a promise to keep doing improvements. I believe that nobody of today's people will be using the tube at 150 years from now, but what they promised was to made people of the future would enjoy the same luxurious as what they had now and even better.
 
Back then to my writing above, I think this can be a good example for education system in Indonesia. About a vision. About acts to make it real. About services we can share to the people of the future. Would it be considered?

No comments: