1.28.2014

A conversation this afternoon

This afternoon, I met my supervisor. We talked about my research progress. I presented an initial draft for a conference paper that he asked me to prepare several times ago. The discussion was liquid and I was happy for that situation.

Then, before completing the session, I asked him, "may I ask you one more question?"

"That's fine."

"As you may notice, I keep addressing you with Dr. *****, especially in my emails. Is that okay with you? I mean, this is a common habit from my country to address with certain salutations to other people. Or it would be convenience I call you just by your first name?"

"That's okay. I understand (that) students from several countries, they are more convenience to use salutations."

"Hmm... actually, that is indeed what common in my country. However, I came from different culture. We address people just by saying the names. So...?"

"What makes you convenience, it would be convenience for me."

"Then, now on I'll call you with your first name, ********."

And, I feel something liberated within.

No comments: