12.27.2013

New learning from Indomie

 (Source: http://www.indomie.com/Product/Category/1, accessed: 27th Dec 2013)

Most of Indonesian people must recognize the product variant of Indomie shown above. The tagline of the product, "Indomie, seleraku - Indomie, my taste" perfectly depicts the palate of Indonesian. Indomie perhaps can be considered as the most acceptable instant food for most of Indonesian.

For students, there is an anecdote about the product. It is said that Indomie is staple food for students (instead of rice, etc). It applies not only for they who study in Indonesia but also for they who study abroad. Despite of pro-con of the product related to health problems, it remains the main option for most students.

This morning, there was a chat on Riset-Pro's whatsapp group about this product. Several grantees of Riset-Pro tried to compare the price of this product between countries we are studying in. In Australia, I got  information that a colleague of mine can get five packs for AUD 3.9, while in Japan for the same amount people have to pay JPY 490. It is interesting in the UK, because the price may differ significantly between one place to another. A friend of mine in Bath only gets two packs for GBP 1, while here in Bedford I can get four packs. The price in my place is the cheapest of all when it is rated back to IDR.

I think, it just natural to compare product to our own currency, but by doing so we may necessarily found the non-linearity of the price of a product. Distance may be one factor that influence the price (in term of transport cost), but there are other factors. This is what I concluded from the discussion. In this case of Indomie, it may be peculiar to know that the price in my place is the cheapest one whereas I am living the furthest from Indonesia. In addition, we, Indonesian people, have perception that everything must be pricy here in the UK as its currency is one of the highest and the strongest ones on earth.  But the fact tells otherwise.

It is appealing that when I am out of my country, my comfort zone, I immediately learn new things. This opportunity to study abroad actually open a greater chance to have new paradigm about how the world is run in many aspects. I learn more than just the disciplines of my research. I am grateful for that.


PS:
Even though I eat Indomie sometimes, I am not so into it, btw.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like this :)

Muhammad Ilham Adhynugraha said...

Thank you, Thahir...
Apa kabar?