7.18.2007

Not a fairy tale: My friend's story

This is my conversation with my friend, Edi Johan, last year when I went home to Lombok on Idul Fitri holiday. He was my mate at elementary school.

Edi Johan (EJ): “I have never sat and talk comfort, just like we’re doing now.”

Muhammad Ilham (MI): “Do you mean?”

EJ: “Yup, people talk to me unwillingly. They think I am….”

MI: “What are they thinking about you?”

EJ: “I have experienced things that barely happen to other.”

MI: “I don’t understand.”

EJ: “I’ve been a prisoner.”

MI: “Really?”

EJ: “Yes.”

MI: “For what reason?”

EJ: “Drugs. I am disregarded by my environment for what I did in the past. I am disregarded even by my relatives.”

MI: “Let me hear your story!”

EJ: “Graduated from senior high school, I was confused of my future. What should I do? I did not continue my study to university. Ii was as if my brain within burnt. However, I had dignity for not to ask money anymore to my parents. I wanted to get job. With my conditions at that time, I thought what I could do. I took the shortcut. I started to be acquainted with drugs.”

MI: “Did you a user?”

EJ: “Yes. Neither had I wanted but my evil-stuff. I’d barely eaten. You know, every time adzan echoed, I pretended to take blushing water and just went to my chamber but I did nothing. I did not do sholat, just laid down on mattress. I deceived my family.”

MI
: “The last time we met you frequently went to the mosque, didn’t you? I hardly understand.”

EJ: “Yes I did, before I knew that kind of stuff.”

MI: “Okay. Please continue your story!”

EJ: “January, 2005 I was arrested at home. Imagine how this village stirred by that case. They all came to my house just for looking me brought along by the officer. I spent most of year 2005 in jail. I was disappointed because my friend in this village had never visited me, even for once. They, our friends here, I hoped they would visit me badly. I just wanted to know that they still supported me as well.”

MI: “Insya Allah, there would be hikmah (philosophies) on this experience.”

EJ: “Yup, you are so right. I met someone who really loved me. She has never looked to my past. She is my wife.”

MI: “Ho, how come?”

EJ: “First time I met her, she came by to visit her best male friend at LP. Her friend was sentenced for different case: car-hit. She often came. On fasting month, she even visited everyday bringing meal for our break.

MI: “Was she a college student?”

EJ: “Yes, nursery. Ridiculous, isn’t it? A man marry woman with higher education.”

MI: “Not really.”

EJ: “I freed on December 2005. Actually, I was sentenced for one and a half years. I got a month remission on Independence Day that year and 15 days when Idul Fitri celebration. Moreover good attitude helped me to free faster. I also took CBS program. Three months off the jail, I married that girl. She is pregnant right now, our first child. However she lives with her parents right now.”

MI: “Why?”

EJ: “I feel ashamed. I don’t have a job while she has. She is working as a nurse in her birthplace, in Lombok Timur. Yesterday, I went her and found she has television and VCD player in her room. She gets those from her hard work. She said, ‘I bought these to remind you for finding job.’ I just smiled in bitterness. I knew she said it not to underestimate me. She spoke like that precisely showed her love.”

MI: “She is really great. You should be grateful to God.”

EJ: “Yes, certainly. I dream of opening my own business and caring my family. However, my movement barred by the way others see me. No one believes me, even my relatives. I broke in every time I tried.”

MI: “Then?”

EJ: “I don’t know. The past still haunt and trapped me.”

MI: “Hey, you should be thankful of what you experience you had. As you said, you’ve got amazing woman as your wife. You also said to me that no one experienced as you had. Look how Allah gives His wide attention so you were given bitterness like that. He knows that you would pass it. Look, you are now sitting and talking with me here. You still live until now, just a brief proof that you were passed from His test. Should you be trapped by the past?”

EJ: “Hmm..., you are right. I must be strong. I should not stand on someone else’s customary.”

MI: “Then?”

EJ: “I am thinking to open rice stall. But I have no money to invest at this. It makes me confused.”

MI: “Hmm…, great idea. I think you can try asking your relatives to lend your some money. Or you can accompany Febri first to set travelling program at Gili’s. Or help Dodi at his computer course.”

EJ: “I am not interested at that. Moreover I have little knowledge about things you said.”

MI: “Don’t underestimate yourself. Just try, no pain no gain. You work to collect your capital.”

EJ: “Actually, there’s someone offers me job to help him on flower business. He is from Jakarta. We met before Romadhon. But I am afraid.”

MI: “Why?”

EJ: “I don’t know. But I am interested, for sure. I love flowers. In jail I helped to look after the garden there. I liked it.”

MI: “So, there’s no excuse to leave this opportunity. Contact him, as soon as possible!”

EJ: “He is going home to Jakarta. He is going back here on next Monday, insyaAllah. But, I have planned to climb Rinjani this Sunday. It will take a week, at least.”

MI: “Cancel it! Better you don’t go for meeting him on Monday. I ask it as your friend.”

EJ: “Okay, I will do what you ask. Thank you.”

MI: “You’re welcome. Since I am your friend, I’ll keep support you. I trust you.”

[And we smiled]

2 comments:

Alma said...

wow...what an inspiring dialogue u had, bro! gimana kabar temen kk itu sekarang? ada kontak lagi?

Muhammad Ilham Adhynugraha said...

@muthe:
Terima kasih komennya, adik...
Cerita mengispirasi bisa datang kapan saja dan dari siapa saja ternyata :D