8.09.2007

Earthquake

Cloudy night. I’ve never realized that I would get that kind of experience.

It was around 1.30 am, this day; I replied an email from friend at fourth floor of my Department building. Suddenly, keyboard I used shook. I surprised because all things around me trembled, even my body did. It was an earthquake. Windows echoed intimidating sound. My body shook to right and left.

My friends (there were four people, including me, at that place) kept silent by frightened. I yelled, “Don’t move! Don’t move.” I did not know that was good or not. I wondered which one better: staying at the highest floor of that building or just running ahead to the ground immediately. I just thought that bending moment by this earthquake influenced near ground structure than higher floor structure even though vibration would be felt scarier at higher place. However, that would be inapplicable for very high building case. That was my analysis when that happened.

Honestly, I was afraid. I suddenly remembered the earthquake in Yogyakarta a while ago. Six minute, land vibrated and it caused hundreds of human being died. Remembering that, I just said istighfar. Terrifying. My heart just kept whispering, “How if I die here?”

I guessed it took three minutes. When it stopped, I asked my friend to get out the building immediately. I was afraid if following earthquake would draw closer. Better avoid the risk, I thought. At the outside, my friends were informed by phone call that the earthquake was felt in Jakarta as well. We thought it was severer in Jakarta because people even woke up of their sleep because the vibration.

Hmmm…, I wonder what kind of earthquake was that.

1 comment:

Alma said...

wah kk,kalo di rumahku lebih dulu kerasanya.jam 00.00 udah kerasa,dan yup...kayaknya sekitar 3 menit gitu gempanya,kenceng banget lagi...dulupernah ngerasa gempa yang agak keras tengah malam, tapi cma 5 SR,nggak nyampe 7 SR gini...